Sunday, February 8, 2009

Early impressions of Japan (specifically doughnuts)

I guess that this whole 'early impressions' thing might be a little late in my case. Not only have I been in Japan for the last semester, I've actually been here twice before in high school. But one thing that I do remember from my earliest visit to Japan is Mister Doughnuts. Back in the States the big name in doughnuts is Krispy Kream, a name which my built in spellchecker is telling me should not be. And, as is often the case, I find myself agreeing with my spellchecker. Mister Doughnuts has hands down the best doughnuts I have ever had. Below are two of my favorites. Well, actually I left out my favorite, it just wasn't as photogenic. An intersting note about doughnuts; often I find myself talking with some Japanese students and my fondess of Mister Doughnuts comes up. Many of the Japanese students are surprised because Japanese doughnuts (and snacks in general) are less sweet then their American counter parts. Maybe Mister Doughnuts sereves doughnuts that are less sweet, but is it really that big of a shock that an American would perfer less sweet doughnuts? Anyway, the doughnuts:


The above is a chocolate doughnut with a strawberry cream center. 
And this one has some frosting and angel cream filling, Mister Doughnuts special cream filling. 

1 comment:

  1. What can doughnuts tell us about Japanese culture? Why do the Japanese like less sweeter doughnuts?

    ReplyDelete