Sunday, February 15, 2009

Neighborhood Makino

This post might be easier for me then it will be for some of my peers. I've got the benefit of nearly half a year in Japan. One of the places that I frequent the most is a restaurant located about fifteen minuets away by foot. It is called グリルサンドル (guriru sandooru), as evident by the below picture.I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be Grill Sand Dollar or Sand Dollar Grill. It is very well known among the students living at the Seminar Houses. You can get a lot of food for very cheap. The most popular dish by far, at least among the exchange students, is the yakiniku donburi. For 650 en the meal consists of a very large bowl of rice topped with grilled beef with miso soup, a fried chicken cutlet, some noodles, and tea on the side. This is far from the only meal served at Sandoru, or mom and pop's as it is sometimes colloquially called by some of the exchange students. Below is the display of plastic food that stands outside of Sandoru.
These pictures, while fine, do not include the picture that I wanted. It is not uncommon to go to Sandoru on a sunday and see the place packed with exchange students eating there. I've seen the restaurant completely full of Seminar House residents. Alas, when I went to Sandoru today, it was empty.

1 comment:

  1. Is it really a mom and pop that work there? I'd like to read about them. Do Japanese people go to this shop? How does this shop fit in with the rest of the neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete