Sunday, February 22, 2009

外大生 (Gaidai students)






This post is supposed to be about the Japanese people. Now the only reason I used such a clumsy opening sentence is because it is a very vague question. Also somewhat dangerous. I mean, making broad generalizations of an entire group of people is always treading on uncomfortable ground. So I'm going to try to narrow it down to just the Japanese students I have met at Gaidai. Granted that isn't much better, Gaidai is a pretty large school of about 10,000 Japanese students. Still, it is better than trying to talk about the people in a nation of over 127,000,000. I took two pictures for this week, one of a few of my male Gaidai friends and one of a few of my female Gaidai friends. One thing that I have noticed about Kansai Gaidai is that it appears to attract very similar students. When I have asked what movies, music, books, etc. the answers are all very similar. It struck me as a little strange that there would be so many people with such similar tastes. Then I began to think; almost all of the Gaidai students are English language majors. It would make sense that they would have similar interests. I think one of the reasons that it stuck me as odd was that I am from a liberal arts school where there are many majors that one can choose. I know that many of the film majors at my school have similar tastes, there are just far less of us so it seems more feasible.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is difficult to generalize about all Japanese people; that is why I asked students to do specific case studies. Gaidaisei might work - but I find it hard to beleive that all Gaidaisei like the same movies, etc. Perhaps among your circle of friends like attracts like?

    ReplyDelete